12/31/10

Yummy and Healthy Meatloaf - Resolution No. 1

Resolution number 1. Eat healthier this year. Yes, we get our own eggs and meats, but it's more than that. Less "junk" food and more greens ... you know those things - fruits and veggies. But how?

Here is one of those old fashioned family favorites. Add some creamy mashed potatoes (or this year, maybe creamy sweet potato/cauliflower mix) and it's comfort food through and through.

But it's not one of those food that you think of when you think of the word healthy. Personally, if you like meat, I think this is one of the more healthy versions by using Beefalo and spinach. 

Corinne's Farm-style Meatloaf

2 lbs. ground Beefalo
1 lb. ground pork 
2 eggs

1 1/2-2c. Panko bread crumbs (can use regular, but I like these)
1T. herbs de providence (good use for left over lavender)
1 T. parsley
2 tsp. chives
1-2 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

and my secret ingredient they boys see, but call herbs ...
1/2 box of frozen spinach, thawed and drained













Now quick, go start your oven to 350. I don't worry about "preheating" for this, just turn it on now.
Take your rings off for this one folks - dig in and smoosh it all together with your fingers. I used to use the food processor, but it does make it tougher and is one more tool to clean. Think of it as PlayDoh. :-) Remember how much fun that was? I loved it. And yes, this reminds me of playing with the stuff. All you are going to do is incorporate everything evenly until it looks like this:
Pretty, huh?
I then take out my 2 long, skinny bread pans, separate it into halves and there you go...
Yes, they are old, well loved pans. The aren't pretty, but they get the job done. For the most part. Anyway,
Pop them into the oven for approx 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160.

What would meatloaf be without a sauce on top? Well, mine is a little different again. Would you expect anything less? I don't have an exact measurement, but it is approximately 1/2 cup ketchup to 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (the Asian version). That's it. Mix it up, pull your meatloaf out at 30 minutes to spread a little on top and check it's temperature. Here is mine done. Not a lot of sauce as you can see.
 Notice what else is missing? I don't know if you can see it in the picture or not, but there aren't the pockets of grease or even shrinkage of the meatloaf. Lean stuff! I'm going to do a photo blog of our bacon one of these days - it is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING like the stuff you buy in the stores. Even the high end stuff. But I digress - this is a lean, healthy version of one of my old fashioned favorites. Add some mashed potatoes and maybe some green beans and you've got a comfort meal worthy of sharing with company.  Bonus: you might have enough left over for meatloaf sandwiches tomorrow. Happy eating!

Comments? Suggestions? What are some of your favorite comfort foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment