6/22/11

Makin' Hay

I love hay. There is something about the sweet smell of the freshly cut grass mixtures that just sings to my soul. And then there are the hay bales. Oh my gosh - I go crazy seeing bale after bale out in the field, ready and waiting to be picked up. Small ones. Big ones. Round ones. Grass. Timothy. Alfalfa.  Just love those bales of hay.

It's one of those things that we are looking forward to doing on our new farm: making our own hay. A sweet mix that will not only nourish, but satisfy as well. That will give fresh, sweet milk from the cows and a glossy shine on the horses. At the same time, add a little extra nutrients to the fresh eggs from the chickens. I'm thinking that a little flax seed in the mix will add wonders. Hmmm. We'll have to see how that works with the other seeds and the nutritional value as a whole, but it makes sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment