10/10/11

Shampoo and Conditioner - farm style

As with many things, we are always looking for ways to create a healthier environment while saving money. I think many people, if given the option are interested too. 


Well, I've gone back in time. Time to when really simple, basic ingredients served our grandparents and great-grandparents before Big Biz told them it wasn't adequate and they needed more. Let me introduce you to my friends, Baking Soda and Vinegar.




Baking soda and vinegar have been cleaning staples almost since time began. Why again are we not using them everyday? Some like to think of it as cleaning ingredients the "hippies" used. WHOA right there sir! Those two ingredients can be used to clean and sanitize everything from a diaper pail to your face. And that's where I am headed today...


Baking soda, by accident, I found, is this totally amazing, mildly abrasive facial cleanser. I ended up trying it again on purpose and used about 1/4 teaspoon in the palm of my hand and rubbing it on my face with a little of my basic facial soap. Can I tell you that my face felt smoother than a baby's butt? Really - I just kept rubbing the back of my hand over my face, oohing and aahing. I'm using it every few days now. Give it a try.


I decided that this little miracle was not only going to be used for my facial routine now. I did some research and one of the other blogs I read Stephanie, over at Keeper of the Home had a great article and vlog on making your own shampoo and conditioner with, yes, my newly found friends, Baking Soda and Vinegar.


I've been using this for a couple weeks now and LOVE it! I used one of my old shampoo bottles that was right down at the end and needing to be replaced, so it was extremely timely as well. 
Shampoo:
Put a few tablespoons of baking soda in the bottle
Fill it the rest of the way with water
If you're prone to itchy or flaky scalp, add in a teaspoon of ground up rosemary (it also gives a nice, natural shine too so I am adding it in anyways). That's it, just give it a shake each time before you use it.
Conditioner:
I had a little left of my conditioner
I just filled the bottle to half way with unfiltered apple cider vinegar and the rest of the way with water. Shake each time before you use it.


I have never been one to wash my hair everyday, every other day has been fine to keep it clean and even then, I use minimal shampoo (many times I've watered down the shampoo that I brought home from the store). 
I've done the same with this new method (although I do use a little more, but am OK with that since it is all natural and does no harm to delicate septic systems) and I am in shock and awe at how easy it is. Haven't seemed to have that trial period some talk about - my hair is happy. I will say also, I had been experiencing more frizz lately since we have been in the south with the humidity. This new method has almost completely eliminated it.


I know this may sound radical to some, but this has been revolutionary for me and my family. I hope that you will give it a try and let me know what you think.

Photo by Jessica Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment