10/7/11

Cottage Cheese Pancakes

I know - sounds weird, right? These are the best pancakes I've made yet - so say the guys. You know, my super picky eaters. I'm also trying to find some new ways to get more protein and less carbs in our diet. This was a great recipe for that alone. Even with our dairy sensitivities, we seem to do OK with small amounts of cottage cheese.


I was actually looking for a way to get rid of some leftover cottage cheese and found a recipe from Whole Foods that I just had to try. I did modify it a bit to suit what I had on hand, so I'm posting my recipe below. 
pancake pile
Photo credit rcstanley

Being picky eaters, I did NOT tell them what was in it. I just mentioned I wanted to try a new recipes and that alone brought out tears. Sheesh. 


Ingredients


1 cup flour (half unbleached, half whole wheat)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar 3 eggs
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup almond milk, vanilla flavor
2 tablespoons olive oil, extra light
Coconut oil for the pan


In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, cottage cheese, milk and oil. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and whisk until completely blended. It will look lumpy to those who don't know what's in it. That's OK - tell 'em, that's how it's supposed to be.

I use 1 teaspoon coconut oil for each pan of pancakes.Working in batches, form each pancake by spooning about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet. Cook, flipping pancakes once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes total. 


I offered this with whipped butter, Maple Cream and maple syrup (both from Paul Bunyan's, that I've been raving about lately) and they got to choose. I had mine with just the butter and really it was wonderful. 

You need to try this recipe! Let me know what you think.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment