2/26/11

Roasted Root Vegetables - a winter staple

This is the time of year when there isn't a lot of local, fresh veggies left except for our beloved root vegetables. So here I thought I would share a simple, easy and tasty dish that can be make over and over without the kids crying "do I really have to eat that again?"

Let me start by saying I am not a baker. I make bread, but one out of every 4 or 5 loaves fails because I forget something or try an experiment that doesn't do so well. I love to play with my food and part of that for me means, no recipe. Don't run away yet! It actually can make it fun, but as serious as I can be, if it fails, we will order a pizza or go grab something quick. I'm not proud ... I make mistakes, but I'm not going to force food I won't eat on my family.

Roasted Root Veggies

Carrots
Sweet Potatoes
Russet Potatoes
Onions
Parsnips or Turnips
Olive oil
Chives & Parsley
Herbs de Providence (or just rosemary)
Salt & Pepper to taste
OK, I did add in a rarity that most may not: White Truffle Oil. Seriously though, only a couple drops and that is AFTER it has finished cooking.

This is a great way to add in some of those lesser known veggies and still have them come out great.


Chop up all the vegetables as evenly as you can so they can roast evenly.Sprinkle with some olive oil and season with your herbs lightly and a little salt & pepper. Turn your oven on to 450 (I had mine in a glass dish so I kept it at 350 and it just took a little longer).

Every 15 minutes you will want to go in and stir up the veggies.

 At first, it doesn't look like anything's happening, but after your 3rd stir, you'll go WOW! They start to carmelize and release their own, natural sugars, which is what makes them so very amazing. And easy to eat a few times a week...

Go out and find some of those local, fresh root veggies and enjoy! You won't be disappointed.






No comments:

Post a Comment